Projekt Red Backlash

Cyberpunk 2077 developer CD Projekt Red is facing a big backlash over the always controversial topic of video game crunch.

The studio, which is also behind The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, had told its employees that it was requiring them to work overtime, specifically six days a week every week until the game's release on November 19 (Bloomberg originally reported this decision).

Known as crunch, this practice of making video game developers work overtime for extended periods of time to hit a release date is controversial due to the impact it has had on the mental and physical health of employees.

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/cyberpunk-2077-developer-hit-backlash-090600124.html

Well, this sounds a bit much. I mean they intended on having the game out in November but clearly overestimated things. maybe they should have pushed it back until December or even January. Like I want to play the game ASAP but knowing people are being forced to work too much just makes me feel bad.

I am shocked they are ramping up the workload but this is probably something that happens with most triple A title games. I don't think it necessarily means they are short on time or anything.

• Like 1

The backlash is for working overtime. I get that but they are being paid and likely getting bonuses, hefty ones, once the game comes out. I never understood people complaining for overtime when millions would kill to have this kind of job. The mental health thing is a bit concerning but I never heard of this before.

22 minutes ago, Hantaro said:

I am shocked they are ramping up the workload but this is probably something that happens with most triple A title games. I don't think it necessarily means they are short on time or anything.

I don't know about that. I mean there is no reason to put your employees on longer shifts and working overtime if everything is ready to go. I feel like something got messed up somewhere and they need to get updates and patches done by November. There is only 47 days left.

If they are falling short then it is kind on them. I mean when you work as a team, if everyone is doing their part, even with mistakes, things should be able to be handled on time. Seems like something got messed up somewhere.

22 hours ago, KyleZ said:

I don't know about that. I mean there is no reason to put your employees on longer shifts and working overtime if everything is ready to go. I feel like something got messed up somewhere and they need to get updates and patches done by November. There is only 47 days left.

That isn't necessarily the case. A lot of time, devs will do a last minute crunch to test everything and get through the game. They are likely having people play test it a few more times to ensure everything functions right.

I remember hearing about this with a few other gaming titles. Like the workers were basically forced to do overtime or they'd lose their jobs. That just don't seem right to me. I get needing to cover more ground but spend the extra money and have a bigger team to prevent this.

Most production industries use overtime when it's needed. The good thing for CDPR is that under Polish law they can't work more than 48 hours in a week. That's certainly more reasonable than a lot of people are complaining about. We have jobs in the U.S. where people have to work 12 hour days 5-6 days a week.  CDPR working 48 all while getting a great bonus when it's all done is not so bad. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Revanesolm said:

Most production industries use overtime when it's needed. The good thing for CDPR is that under Polish law they can't work more than 48 hours in a week. That's certainly more reasonable than a lot of people are complaining about. We have jobs in the U.S. where people have to work 12 hour days 5-6 days a week.  CDPR working 48 all while getting a great bonus when it's all done is not so bad. 

I was actually going to ask about this. I know in the US, a company can really screw you over with hours. My own father worked 60 hour weeks until he retired last year. It was insane. But knowing that they can't legally work past 48 hours a week makes this seem a lot less serious.

24 minutes ago, SickVic said:

I was actually going to ask about this. I know in the US, a company can really screw you over with hours. My own father worked 60 hour weeks until he retired last year. It was insane. But knowing that they can't legally work past 48 hours a week makes this seem a lot less serious.

A lot of it is overblown and judging by some of the comments I've read on twitter and elsewhere it seems some people don't know how businesses work in general or have never worked a day in their life. I'm not making excuses for companies that force 70 hour work weeks on people because we know companies in the game industry do that (EA for example.) Never mind other production industries where 50-60 hours is the norm on any given week. Part of that is American work ethic culture where working beyond 40 hours was considered normal. Your own father can attest to this. It's strange how this has become some kind of nightmare scenario for game developers when there are industries where people work harder and longer hours and no one bats an eye. CDPR will be just fine, and I'm even guessing a lot of their workers 1. aren't stressed and 2. will happily work the extra 8 because they are getting a nice bonus on top of it. 

43 minutes ago, Revanesolm said:

A lot of it is overblown and judging by some of the comments I've read on twitter and elsewhere it seems some people don't know how businesses work in general or have never worked a day in their life. I'm not making excuses for companies that force 70 hour work weeks on people because we know companies in the game industry do that (EA for example.) Never mind other production industries where 50-60 hours is the norm on any given week. Part of that is American work ethic culture where working beyond 40 hours was considered normal. Your own father can attest to this. It's strange how this has become some kind of nightmare scenario for game developers when there are industries where people work harder and longer hours and no one bats an eye. CDPR will be just fine, and I'm even guessing a lot of their workers 1. aren't stressed and 2. will happily work the extra 8 because they are getting a nice bonus on top of it. 

That is part of this reaction culture we are stuck in. No one cares about the facts, they just want to be outraged over the next thing. It is sad really.

And yeah, it is normal for a lot of workers to be worked over in the US, and by several hours. I have known some people to work up to 80 hour weeks who worked in hospitals. No one ever says anything about them, seldom even feels bad for them. I have seen people on social media even mocking doctors and nurses during the COVID outbreak, like at the beginning. Saying things like "I don't feel bad for them, they make more than I do!"... People are just so entitled these days it is pathetic.

And I have never heard a single person working for them complain. They seem to be happy there which you can't say the same for some American dev companies like Rockstar.

Other than this story and complaints from people on social sites, I have not seen anything from the actual creators of devs that would imply they are unhappy with what is going on. Likely just a BS assumption story. Just ignore it.

Anytime I see pieces like this, I always check the source of where it is coming from and no one is having issues at Projekt Red so this is just all hot water and nothing to pay attention to. Like Bomberman said, just ignore it. 

Leave it to the outrage mobs on social media to cause a scene as usual. Ugg. So sick of the way people are in this social climate. Not everyone deserves to have a platform to voice their opinions all willy nilly. 

On 10/8/2020 at 2:23 PM, Twizted said:

Leave it to the outrage mobs on social media to cause a scene as usual. Ugg. So sick of the way people are in this social climate. Not everyone deserves to have a platform to voice their opinions all willy nilly. 

I don't even pay attention to social media anymore. People are just so toxic and arrogant on those platforms. I did enjoy following some YouTubers and Twitch streamers but I couldn't be bothered with seeing the rest of the mess. It is nothing but hate and complaining. 

Just so you guys know, they confirmed the story to be blown WAY out of proportion and a lot of what was mentioned was assumptions. Surprise, surprise! So sick of the narrative "react first, fact check later". This is why so many people in the media make themselves look like idiots.

• Like 1

So I read that they basically wanted to work overtime themselves instead of the game being delayed again. So it really wasn't a forced thing but rather, the team not wanting to let their fans down.