Do you think Cyberpunk 2077 will be game of the year?

Will Cyberpunk 2077 win GotY?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cyberpunk 2077 win GotY?

• YES
    • NO

I am thinking it will and it would be a fitting game to be game of the year considering all the crap that has happened and the theme being about technology and a society of corruption. What do you guys think?

I can't think of any other game off the top of my head that should could compare to what this game will be. I think it will win by a landslide and not even because of the year it has been but because it is just a damn good game.

What do they rank these games on? Is it just in sales or is it what the game is actually about? I never really followed these kinds of awards. Like it was just something that never inclined me to play a game more or less.

On 9/21/2020 at 2:52 PM, Ghost said:

Half-Life: Alyx, Doom Eternal, and Gears Tactics are all big name games they will be competing with. I can't see them not winning though. There is too much hype around this game.

I can't see these games beating it. There is too much build-up. The game would have to flop hard for it not to win and I just don't see that happening.

I voted yes just on the simple fact that no other game this year has had this much hype.

I mean Animal Crossing was all over the dang place and I can understand why but I just can't see it beating out this game, which will be a work of art.

• Like 1
On 9/25/2020 at 3:12 PM, KyleZ said:

I voted yes just on the simple fact that no other game this year has had this much hype.

I mean Animal Crossing was all over the dang place and I can understand why but I just can't see it beating out this game, which will be a work of art.

Same for me. There have been games to come out this year that no one expected to be a huge deal with people. Heck, that Among Us game came out in 2018 and now everyone is playing it. So when you compare Cyberpunk to games like Animal Crossing or that other one with the colourful creatures... Fall Guys? I just don't see it losing.

• Like 1
On 9/30/2020 at 4:48 PM, CyberDemon said:

Same for me. There have been games to come out this year that no one expected to be a huge deal with people. Heck, that Among Us game came out in 2018 and now everyone is playing it. So when you compare Cyberpunk to games like Animal Crossing or that other one with the colourful creatures... Fall Guys? I just don't see it losing.

Considering the amount of support and love Animal Crossing has got, I would have said had it not been for Cyberpunk 2077, that would have easily won. It was a good break from the crappy reality of 2020.

• Like 1

I will be the opposer and say no. The only reason is because it got delayed, it was a late year title release, and it is competing with games like Animal Crossing which effectively have been loved and played since day one. And because the way the year has been going, I think people are more likely to be drawn to a game like that.

On 10/5/2020 at 4:34 PM, Kip said:

I will be the opposer and say no. The only reason is because it got delayed, it was a late year title release, and it is competing with games like Animal Crossing which effectively have been loved and played since day one. And because the way the year has been going, I think people are more likely to be drawn to a game like that.

You are indeed the only one. I mean I can see what you are saying. Like the game came out at the perfect timing for a lot of people but not everyone is into cutesie games like that, I know I'm not.

On 10/7/2020 at 3:08 PM, CyberDemon said:

You are indeed the only one. I mean I can see what you are saying. Like the game came out at the perfect timing for a lot of people but not everyone is into cutesie games like that, I know I'm not.

I like being an outsider, what can I say? lol

There is a good chance that it does win but given how people have been this year, and the kind of year it has been in general... I feel like that alone puts them at odds. 

• Like 1
On 10/9/2020 at 6:49 PM, Revanesolm said:

It will win multiple game of the year awards from many publications. "The Game Awards" I consider a fraud so don't care  about whether it wins that or not. 

I am interested in this hot take. I have heard other people say it but never looked into it. What makes it fraud? 

Also, I am sure you are right. It will win a lot of awards regardless. 

The idea that the games industry even needs an Oscars type of awards show is a farce. It also takes away from gaming publications (though I'll admit most are trash) in what they determine what is game of the year. It being used by console/pc warriors to prove their system/game whatever is better is obnoxious. Granted, that stuff happens with individual publications GOTY winners as well, but less so. I utterly reject the idea that there should be a big ceremony run by a grifter who tries to be clearly a buddy to industry insiders. The fact that it's used as the "real GOTY" after the fact. It's disgusting. Gaming didn't need to follow in the footsteps of the film industry. It already surpassed it years ago. 

• Like 1
On 10/10/2020 at 11:00 PM, Revanesolm said:

The idea that the games industry even needs an Oscars type of awards show is a farce. It also takes away from gaming publications (though I'll admit most are trash) in what they determine what is game of the year. It being used by console/pc warriors to prove their system/game whatever is better is obnoxious. Granted, that stuff happens with individual publications GOTY winners as well, but less so. I utterly reject the idea that there should be a big ceremony run by a grifter who tries to be clearly a buddy to industry insiders. The fact that it's used as the "real GOTY" after the fact. It's disgusting. Gaming didn't need to follow in the footsteps of the film industry. It already surpassed it years ago. 

You know what comes to mind when I read this? The same thing that came to their minds when this crap started... Money. I totally agree with what you said man. It always seemed cheap. Like I am happy when a game I enjoy gets awarded something but plenty of great games don't even get mentioned. Not because they are bad either, it is just because they couldn't use them to make enough money.