Will our save files be transferred?

Hantaro

I read that if you buy the game on Xbox ONE then you will get the game a second time on the next gen console for free. I am wondering though if this means I can keep my save files and play on the new console or if I have to start all over again. Anyone know?

From what I remember of GTA V, it was transferred even though they made you buy a new game. The save files in most games these days are saved to the hardware so you will almost certainly be able to play your progress from the X1 on the next gen console. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, KyleZ said:

From what I remember of GTA V, it was transferred even though they made you buy a new game. The save files in most games these days are saved to the hardware so you will almost certainly be able to play your progress from the X1 on the next gen console. 

This is what I was going to mention. I don't know of any recent game that doesn't save the files to your actual account. We can buy games online without a physical disc. This is the only way to ensure people get to hold on to what they bought. 

• Like 1

I was wondering this myself because it is going from one console to another but other games have done this before. I think for devs who plan on rereleasing games on another console, they make sure this can be done.

On 9/4/2020 at 7:48 PM, MarcKoi said:

I am sure the save files will be attached to your account, assuming you connect to the internet. I don't think you can play many games today without internet connectivity though.

For a while, you can play most games offline but for updates and what not, you need to be logged in and online. I think this made it easier for companies to do stuff like this.

• Like 1
On 8/31/2020 at 3:32 PM, Beanbag said:

This is what I was going to mention. I don't know of any recent game that doesn't save the files to your actual account. We can buy games online without a physical disc. This is the only way to ensure people get to hold on to what they bought. 

Same. They force you do run updates and download the game to the console even with a physical disc these days as well. I get the appeal of having the physical copy but there will come a time when they don't make them anymore and just do it all digitally and I hope if/when that is the case, they pass the money they save on producing physical copies to us gamers.

• Like 1