Does this universe have social media?

Hantaro

I am curious if it does. I know based on aspects of the lore and story, the internet is not a worldwide concept anymore and is mostly focused locally. This is what sparked my mind to ask the question... Is social media a thing in 2077 or did people revert back to forums and such like the earlier days of the internet where large communities on niche forums were the bulk of communications? 

That is an interesting question and observation. I mean the general idea of social media is to connect with the world and since internet is more localized for this world, it would make sense that social media giants like Twitter, Facebook, and so on do not exist. However, I am sure there are social media based apps for things like hookups, drug scores, and buying weapons. 

12 minutes ago, Neon said:

That is an interesting question and observation. I mean the general idea of social media is to connect with the world and since internet is more localized for this world, it would make sense that social media giants like Twitter, Facebook, and so on do not exist. However, I am sure there are social media based apps for things like hookups, drug scores, and buying weapons. 

I am thinking this is the case. App based social networks that function as a means to get/give or buy/sell and nothing more. Think of how social media works right now in our times. People will eventually bore of it and long for a deeper connection again.

I am sure they do but to what extend? Not sure. I doubt "Facebook" or anything like it will be a thing in 2077 just based on how the trends are going with them now. Younger folks are turning away from them and opting for things like TikTok or SnapChat.

On 8/25/2020 at 8:28 PM, Skellix said:

If it has anything related to social media, like already mentioned, it will be more about obtaining something than actual social popularity. 

Social popularity on a world-wide scale is dead at this point. I mean in this world, all internet is localized so it is basically like North Korea in every region. I am guessing the people outside the new US control have their own internet run by hackers and such anyways.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, spaceb0und said:

I am hoping it does to the extent of using our phones for scoring stuff. I think that is a goo way to access the map and what not too. 

This is the only reason I wouldn't mind it. I would prefer the story to reference Facebook and the lot of them being killed off years earlier. I hate social media sites. Nothing but toxic behavior and it just brings out the worst in people. It is like people graduated High School only to go back in it via social media and the internet.

I can bet there will be some sort of "dark web" in the game. Be it through social media or not there has to be an element of illegal activity on the internet. It will be interesting to see how it is implemented in the game though.

18 hours ago, SickVic said:

I can bet there will be some sort of "dark web" in the game. Be it through social media or not there has to be an element of illegal activity on the internet. It will be interesting to see how it is implemented in the game though.

I was thinking this too. It is like the perfect setting for something like this. Given how people basically run the streets, i.e. gangs and what not, having the dark web be not such a big deal cause everyone is using it would be interesting too.

I would like to think it does because it doesn't seem to be going anywhere in the real world. I would like to see something similar to what was mentioned where the social sites and apps are focused more on buying weapons, sex workers, and drugs. 

• Like 1
On 8/27/2020 at 9:02 PM, GBlack said:

This is the only reason I wouldn't mind it. I would prefer the story to reference Facebook and the lot of them being killed off years earlier. I hate social media sites. Nothing but toxic behavior and it just brings out the worst in people. It is like people graduated High School only to go back in it via social media and the internet.

Oh I know and I agree. Those sites are horrible. Thank god for forums like this one still be a think and more organized sites like reddit. A reference to them being terminated would be fantastic.

• Like 1

I hope not. I honestly wish that irl 2020 didn't have it. Forums and social networking is fine but I swear places like Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, and TikTok has really put on display how stupid some people really are. I don't like it.