Development Rumors

CD Projekt Red took to Twitter to refute a post created by an alleged anonymous Cyberpunk 2077 developer. The post in question received a lot of attention on Cyberpunk 2077's Reddit page, but was originally sourced from GameSpot's sister site GameFAQs.

Normally we don't comment on rumors but this time we wanted to make an exception as this story is simply not true.https://t.co/JuOTY2qJbM

— Cyberpunk 2077 (@CyberpunkGame) January 6, 2021
The post contained a lot of rumors, from update schedules to descriptions of what content was cut. It alleged that Cyberpunk 2077 would possibly receive a "No Man's Sky style comeback," and that the redone Cyberpunk 2077 would be finished in June 2021 with a "good chunk of code...getting scrapped and rewritten from scratch." June's update supposedly would sort out all the bugs found on all versions, and would bring back a lot of cut content.

Elaborating on the cut content, the writer told players that if they "see that you guys are asking for s*** to be put back into the game, we might actually make the game we intended back in 2018." The writer alleged that there was a huge underground area that looked like "Malkavian/Nosferatu path on Vampire the Masquerade," and stated that apartments with "Closed (locked) indications used to be lootable."

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-devs-refutes-development-rumors/1100-6485964/

I heard about this and I didn't jump right into it thinking it was true. I am happy they responded and squashed the rumors. This stuff tends to get out of hand so fast. I know some people were already believing it to be true too. 

I didn't hear about this at all. Where was this all posted? If it was only on Twitter then that would explain why. I don't use that site anymore. I don't want to be part of a toxic community even if I end up missing out on stuff. 

19 minutes ago, Cripto said:

I didn't hear about this at all. Where was this all posted? If it was only on Twitter then that would explain why. I don't use that site anymore. I don't want to be part of a toxic community even if I end up missing out on stuff. 

It was on reddit. I am not sure if it came from somewhere prior to that. If you look at the link the OP sourced, you will see all the stuff they talked about removing. 

"The post also alleged censorship responsible for cutting more "edgy" scenes, like drug use with kids and priests and Hare Krishna side arcs. The writer expressed disappointment in the game's version of Johnny and stated that the original Johnny took inspiration from David Hayter's Solid Snake from the first Metal Gear Solid, as well as actor Cillian Murphy."

Anyone could have just said this stuff and people would have believed it because it is believable. A lot of lies are but it doesn't mean they are true.

I was looking through this the other day and was laughing. Like the amount of people that believed it and were sharing it. It just goes to show how easily fake news and lies are spread in the world. The information age brought us the smart age and now we are in the dumbed-down age. It is pretty scary! Glad they addressed it super fast though.

There were people like this saying stuff prior to launch. I think that some people who work with them say information about the game to someone they know and it just get passed a long until someone "claims" they know someone from the company and "THIS" is what is going on. 

^ I think that is a fair point.

You have to figure some people who work there mentioned the game in passing to friends or family and then they mentioned it to someone else, and the cycle kept going.

This kind of stuff is likely posted on a weekly basis and only gains traction when enough people believe it. This is how it works. You can easily convince people a lie is the truth if you keep saying it over, and over, and over again.

• Like 1
On 1/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, RiotRaven said:

This kind of stuff is likely posted on a weekly basis and only gains traction when enough people believe it. This is how it works. You can easily convince people a lie is the truth if you keep saying it over, and over, and over again.

Was going to say basically the same thing. People always fall for this stuff online. I mean they have since the last '90s. Gotta make sure you check sources.

Someone I know over on reddit was keen that this was a fact and I tried telling him it wasn't. I guess it is easy to trick people these days because of social networks and media. I usually wait things out a few days or a few weeks until I have enough information on the subject. I assume things like this are false by default if there are no receipts though.