The NPC experience has been a let down

GridLock

There is no NPC day and night cycle. NPCs spawn and despawn outside constantly outside of the player's view. If there is an NPC doing any action, they will do it on a continuous cycle until the player moves away. NPCs that are not related to story/side quest narratives only have one dialog reply that seems empty, boring, and repetitive.If one NPC is hurt, the other NPCs will gather in a circle around the player and crouch to the floor doing a copy/paste animation even if they didn't see anything happen. Unlike GTA V, NPCs driving cars will follow a specific route which if it gets interrupted or blocked, they will just stop driving and sit still in their car. I can keep going and going man.

We were liked to about how interactive and in depth NPC characters were meant to be in the game. This feels like NPCs from like a 2010 game or something. I have seen more personality in the first RDR game. What the heck did they do wrong? Or did we just get lied to?

• Like 3

Yeah I noticed this. I mean it just feels like they are ghosts in shells or something. No substance to them. They feel less real than the ones in other games I have played and they made us believe they were going to be these amazing interactive features in the game. 

The fact that they showed us a lively city loaded with NPCs and it feels like only 300 people live in the entire city is more of a let down than this. It feels like a wasteland. And the ones who drive will just stop if anything blocks them and not move, ever.

This has to be the only major complaint I have out of everything. I can make excuses for everything else but not this. 

It seems like we were all under the impression that the NPCs were going to be on realistic cycles and the world was going to be lively. It just seems empty in most areas. 

On 12/15/2020 at 8:38 AM, Cripto said:

This has to be the only major complaint I have out of everything. I can make excuses for everything else but not this. 

It seems like we were all under the impression that the NPCs were going to be on realistic cycles and the world was going to be lively. It just seems empty in most areas. 

The emptiness is what bothers me. Like I can be in what is meant to be the busiest part of the city in the afternoon and count maybe 14 people. There should be WAY more in these areas. I don't know if they plan on increasing it after the bugs are fixed or what.

• Like 1

This was really something that I was disappointed with. I feel like GTA V has more going for their NPCs. Sure, they look better in Cyberpunk but they seem like empty animations. Maybe a patch can fix this, I don't know. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 9:33 AM, Neon said:

The emptiness is what bothers me. Like I can be in what is meant to be the busiest part of the city in the afternoon and count maybe 14 people. There should be WAY more in these areas. I don't know if they plan on increasing it after the bugs are fixed or what.

Yeah I feel you. It just seems like they either didn't finish this or never intended on putting it in the game. I remember seeing videos with loads of NPCs gathered in the city. What happened to that?

I don't understand what they did or where they went wrong with this. Maybe they were too focus on making it for PC and realized a lot of these aspects did not function right on console? I just don't know but I agree. I am disappointed over it too. 

On 1/2/2021 at 4:56 PM, MarcKoi said:

I don't understand what they did or where they went wrong with this. Maybe they were too focus on making it for PC and realized a lot of these aspects did not function right on console? I just don't know but I agree. I am disappointed over it too. 

Beats me. I just know that they really hyped and oversold this concept to the point where it is painfully obvious their either lied or never got it functioning on all platforms so they scrapped it.

On 1/7/2021 at 4:48 PM, Tanykome said:

Do you think if enough people complain they will fix this or is this something that is not even fixable with a patch/update? I don't know if it can be done myself.

The way games are designed these days, function heavily based on updates and patches. You have the core of the game established and it is as easy as dropping some new codes in. I wouldn't worry about them not being able to fix it. The game has issues but it is far from broken.