Ray Tracing Will Be Exclusive To Nvidia At First

Neon

For anyone wondering about this, you will only be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 using ray tracing through Nvidia at first. They are planning on working with AMD to introduce the feature as soon as they can. If you happen to have an RX 6800 or RX 6800XT, you will have to wait a bit longer. I can't imagine people will be able to buy them anytime soon though since every time they come in stock, they are sold out in minutes. Nvidia still has the edge with dedicated RT cores but AMD has loads of potential here. 

Not for the release but we are working together with AMD to introduce this feature as soon as we can.

— Marcin Momot (@Marcin360) November 20, 2020

7 minutes ago, RiotRaven said:

How long as ray tracing been a thing? I only just started hearing about it this year but I am certain it has been around for awhile now. I would imagine more brands will hop on board with it in the next 5 years as well.

The concept has been around for awhile but it only started hitting the mainstream in 2017 I believe. It is a HUGE advancement for gaming to say the least. 

On 11/25/2020 at 7:18 PM, Beanbag said:

This is the future of gaming. This is what is going to push PC ahead of console once more just as it started to catch up. It is going to be interesting to see where things go from here. I wish I had one of these cards.

Of for sure. Once they get this to be the baseline and affordable, things are going to blow up. I mean we think graphics look good now, just wait another 5 to 10 years tops, they will be mind blowing. It will be like going from 1996 to 2016. 

I am not very informed about this technology. I too only started just hearing about it recently so I won't pretend I have any clue about it. Based on what I read though, it sounds like gaming is going to be kicked up to a whole other level in the near future!

On 11/27/2020 at 2:38 PM, Milly said:

I am not very informed about this technology. I too only started just hearing about it recently so I won't pretend I have any clue about it. Based on what I read though, it sounds like gaming is going to be kicked up to a whole other level in the near future!

Same here. I get the general concept of it and I am sure this will be the norm for gaming in the near future. I feel like this will also boost VR gaming as well. Maybe we will see a Cyberpunk 2077 VR edition in 5 years. 

• Like 1
On 11/29/2020 at 10:00 AM, Bomberman86 said:

I mean I am not surprised. Nvidia kind of lead the way and made a path for this technology. There are some pros and cons when you compare it to AMD but overall, both are going to play an important role in gaming. 

I don't recall who started the innovation for this but I don't think it was Nividia. They just seemed to get a handle on it and "perfect" it in a way first.

• Like 1