Cutting Content

Hantaro

I spotted this on a news feed, figured I would share it for anyone concerned or wondering about them cutting content from the final game. 

Developer Miles ‘MilezZx’ Tost’s statement explains that, while CDPR could never force everyone to like the game, fans shouldn’t be worried.

“Cutting features and scope is a very normal part of development” he says. “You can witness it so openly with our game, because we happily gave in to community wishes and showed you that 2018 demo. Think about it. The game – two years from release.

“Of course we iterate and change stuff and of course we also will have ideas that sound great on paper but then doesn’t end up working out well in the game with all the other features. [In the] Witcher 3 we also cut a ton of stuff, but in the end all of it made the game better.”

Source: https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cut-content

I have a friend who worked for a game development company who said similar things to what Miles did. Cutting things is very common and usually necessary to get the progress of the game on. Sometimes things are just too buggy or need more time to be figured out. 

I saw some people complaining on Discord, one of the servers I am on about this just the other day. Someone said something a long the lines of "paying for an unfinished game". I couldn't even get into the conversation and how stupid that thought process was with him. And yeah, this is normal for all games. Heck, it is normal for movies, TV shows, and even music albums. 

26 minutes ago, Neon said:

I saw some people complaining on Discord, one of the servers I am on about this just the other day. Someone said something a long the lines of "paying for an unfinished game". I couldn't even get into the conversation and how stupid that thought process was with him. And yeah, this is normal for all games. Heck, it is normal for movies, TV shows, and even music albums. 

I don't get people like that. What do they honestly think they are paying for? This is not EA. In fact, I would argue we are getting more than what we are paying for even with taking some things out. 

• Like 1

This is a process most games go through and I think the only people complaining are the ones that have no clue how a game is made and developed. Likely just kids. I am no expert in the field and I know this is a process that takes place in AAA titles.

On 10/27/2020 at 3:20 PM, Twizted said:

I don't know how much content gets cut but I know it happens. To think a game is going to be released unfinished is a bit of a stretch though. 

Even indie games do cuts. It all depends on budget and future plans for the game. Like mentioned by someone else, they could do cuts with DLC in mind too.

• Like 1

I read something about this a few years back. Might have been about Witcher 3. It was an interview with devs and they were talking about how hard it was to pick and choose what they cut but the main reason for cutting content is to make the experience of playing the game better for the player. 

I don't know why people are shocked when this happens or think it never does. For some titles it has to do with money, sure but many others cut content simply to improve the experience for the player and the quality of how the game runs.

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I don't know why people are shocked when this happens or think it never does. For some titles it has to do with money, sure but many others cut content simply to improve the experience for the player and the quality of how the game runs.

Some people don't care to understand. A lot of it is coming from a few people who are just pissed and then kids are repeating what they are saying to be edgy. I just ignore it.

• Like 1
On 10/26/2020 at 2:59 PM, Helixblood said:

I don't get people like that. What do they honestly think they are paying for? This is not EA. In fact, I would argue we are getting more than what we are paying for even with taking some things out. 

Same here. It makes 0 sense to me bro.

It is just such a silly think to think. And yeah, this isn't EA. They actually want to fit as much as they can on the game for its release. That is why it keeps getting delayed if anything.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Neon said:

Same here. It makes 0 sense to me bro.

It is just such a silly think to think. And yeah, this isn't EA. They actually want to fit as much as they can on the game for its release. That is why it keeps getting delayed if anything.

You know, you are probably right. Thinking about it they are releasing this game on two different generations of consoles in one go PLUS PC. Getting everything to work on each one has to be a nightmare.

People who don't consider this stuff are just spoiled brats who have no concept of how the real world works. I am convinced of this. Like I said before, it is most like coming from kids. The backlash and complaining that is. 

• Like 1
On 11/1/2020 at 2:24 PM, Tanykome said:

Some people don't care to understand. A lot of it is coming from a few people who are just pissed and then kids are repeating what they are saying to be edgy. I just ignore it.

The whole "edgy" think drives me nuts. I swear kids are obsessed with being edgy online just for the sake of getting attention. Some of them will say and do the stupidest things on social platforms. I saw a 15 year old girl twerking in front of some anti-abortion signs the other day in a video. Like... what is wrong with kids these days?