Lip-Synced AI in Game

So I saw this was mentioned a few days ago but no one mentioned it here. Figured I would share it. I think this is pretty cool considering how many different languages the game will be in and the fact that it will be done better than Witcher 3 is icing on the cake because I thought that work was really done well for different languages. 

The game’s lead character technical director, Mateusz Popławski, said in a presentation (via @shinobi602 on Twitter) that CDPR targeted better lip sync quality than in The Witcher 3. It wanted to do so in 10 languages: English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Mandarin and Japanese.

The goal was to do all of that for every character in the open world. Because of the game’s enormous scope, CDPR needed to do all of that with zero facial motion capture. To do so, the studio tapped into Jali Research’s lip syncing and facial animation tech to procedurally generate how the characters’ faces move.

Here is the source if you want to read the full article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/cyberpunk-2077s-dialogue-was-lip-synced-by-ai/ar-BB1adnO5

• Like 1

So this means if you play in another language, the mouth movements will line up better for said language right? I like this a lot!! It will make it better for people playing in less common languages in the gaming world.

Nice. I am not too familiar with Witcher 3 but I remember reading about this and seeing video examples of it on YouTube and I was really impressed. Knowing they took this model and made it even better is great. This will likely be incorporated in other games going forward. 

12 minutes ago, Ghost said:

So this means if you play in another language, the mouth movements will line up better for said language right? I like this a lot!! It will make it better for people playing in less common languages in the gaming world.

Yeah, that is what it handles. It just means that the mouths will move according to the language and not the characters themselves making it more of a seamless look. 

This is pretty cool. I knew of the technology like this being used in other games but knowing it has improved is great. Some people speak more than one language so it can offer a new experience for them to play in more than one language as well. 

I have a few online friends in other countries who were pretty hyped about this news. I know for some other games, the languages were out of sync with the mouths of the characters which can look pretty bad at times. No need to worry about that with this game!

I can see this being a thing a lot of AAA titles use in the future, especially for next gen gaming. It would not surprise me if as VR gaming increases and improves, they too use this technology. 

20 minutes ago, Skellix said:

I can see this being a thing a lot of AAA titles use in the future, especially for next gen gaming. It would not surprise me if as VR gaming increases and improves, they too use this technology. 

You are probably right but I think VR is still several years out from being anything special. I mean it is decent now but I think it will be another 10+ years before it is more mainstream. I don't know many people who have VR headsets still and it is 2020.

• Like 1
On 10/27/2020 at 3:34 PM, Beanbag said:

You are probably right but I think VR is still several years out from being anything special. I mean it is decent now but I think it will be another 10+ years before it is more mainstream. I don't know many people who have VR headsets still and it is 2020.

VR looks insanely good just from what it was 10 years ago when it all started. It is only going to get better. We are essentially in VR '90s right now. Soon at the tech takes off for it, it will be like we went from a SNES to a PS3 overnight. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Skellix said:

VR looks insanely good just from what it was 10 years ago when it all started. It is only going to get better. We are essentially in VR '90s right now. Soon at the tech takes off for it, it will be like we went from a SNES to a PS3 overnight. 

That is a good point I suppose I didn't really consider. They are going to get to a point where it just gets really good. I mean the VR for Minecraft looks amazing but the game is very simple.